October VFN Energy Committee Meeting
Present: Tara Hamilton, Lawrence Mott, John Norton, Dennis Derry Berry, Bill Maclay
1. Mission: Not discussed. To be on next agenda.
2. Biomass Project Update: Tara Hamilton provided update. This grant will fund research on the forestry resource in the valley as well as pellets, chips, or other possible uses. The energy group offered support of these efforts which could benefit the valley. It will be a great asset to have a more concrete understanding of our resources and options for the future.
3. Community Energy Projects: Lawrence Mott provided information on New Generation Partners, which is a non-profit independent power producer whose purpose is to find power projects, form LLC’s, and develop projects in the 500 kW to 10 MW range. Specifically, they are looking for investors in projects. Possible wind projects in the valley were discussed and how to develop community oriented projects. It is exciting to look at how we can further energy independence in the valley through community projects.
4. Blog thanks: Thanks to Bob Ferris for active blogging.
5. Chair: Dennis agreed to be the chair of the energy committee.
6. Transition towns: To be discussed at next meeting or by e-mail.
7. Next meeting: As agreed at the last meeting, there will be meetings every other month. The next meeting will be December 11th at 6pm at Yestermorrow School.